Thursday, September 18, 2008

Veggie & Fruit Art Prints



Yesterday was printmaking day.  I began class with reading Growing Vegetable Soup, written and illustrated by Lois Ehlert. We talked about what vegetables and colors we saw in the book and then made our way over to the tables where  had cut up veggies and fruit and paint for them to explore.  I stuck popsicle sticks in the apples and potatoes so their little hands could grasp them better.  We talked about the different textures of each veggie or fruit.  For my Seedling Artist I made pudding paint for them to use.  For my Lil' Sprouts artists I put out shiny washable paint in Fall colors. Everyone of them enjoyed getting messy and using their food in a different way.
At another table I had ink pads and alphabet rubber stamps set up.   I wanted them to explore another aspect of printmaking.  This didn't seem to capture their attention for to long but it was worth a try.  I helped some of them find the letters in their name and stamp it on their paper.  
  Try some printmaking today. Its a great way to introduce textures and colors . Let me know how it goes.  Have a Beautiful Day!

No comments: